I want to be the next Wiggle

For music student Christer Gustafsson, a dual love of music and children inspired an obvious career choice.

12 Apr 2017

For as long as I can remember I always enjoyed being around kids and playing music. So I thought, why not do both and make a career out of it, just like a Wiggle!

I’m a qualified early childhood education and care worker and I’ve returned to TAFE Queensland to study music in order to one day either perform on Play School, be the next Wiggle, or even create my very own children’s show or entertainment brand.

I believe that music is incredibly important in a child’s development. Children can use it to express their feelings and even relieve stress and anxiety. Music helps us all better understand the crazy world we live in.

Music can stimulate a child’s creativity and construct an imaginary world for them to play and grow in. A broom can become a guitar or a box can become a drum. Their imagination is limitless and is a big part of early childhood and growing up.

Early childhood is the time when children learn about their world primarily by playing. Through play, children can develop social and cognitive skills, mature emotionally, and gain the self-confidence required to engage in new experiences and environments. Play is a way children can express their feelings even before they have the words to say how they feel.

I’m currently a Childcare Assistant at C&K Childcare Centre. I work with kids to teach them the importance of wellbeing and help them form healthy habits. I read with them, sing with them, play with them, and make sure they’re having fun and learning through play in a safe and positive environment.

I have a silly and caring personality. I love working with kids because they really keep you on your toes and each day is so very different. Each activity requires careful thought and planning, putting yourself in their shoes and trying to think how they would think—it’s so different to teaching adults.

My dad was a great classical guitar player. He was the one who opened my eyes, and ears, to music. He was a great inspiration and has helped me shape who I am today. I’ve been playing music and performing for a while now and want to take my skills to the next level and grow as a musician; hence enrolling in a music course at TAFE Queensland.

Music will always be an important part of my life. Whether I’m working in children’s entertainment, writing songs for the next pop sensation, or playing my violin in an orchestra, I’ll always be working on my music until it becomes my full-time career.

For more information about child care and music courses available at TAFE Queensland visit our website or call 1300 308 233.

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E