Training the teacher for a bright future

TAFE Queensland information technology teacher Tony Dieck swapped his marking pen for a notepad and became the student when he visited Hervey Bay business Masterlink Computers.

5 Oct 2017

TAFE Queensland IT teacher Tony Dieck, graduate Bailey Fraser, and Masterlink Computers owner/manager Michael Jenkins.
TAFE Queensland teacher Tony Dieck, Bailey Fraser, and Masterlink Computers owner and manager Michael Jenkins.

TAFE Queensland teacher Tony Dieck spoke with Masterlink Computers owner and manager Michael Jenkins to complete what’s known as an industry release – an initiative that sees educators from training organisations like TAFE Queensland attend industry sites applicable to their sector, to make sure the content delivered in our courses are relevant and up-to-date.

However not only did with Mr Dieck get the chance to gather knowledge of current industry practices, but he also had the chance to see one of his former students in action.

Bailey Fraser completed a Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology at TAFE Queensland’s Hervey Bay Campus in July earlier this year, and thanks to his qualification and the work experience he has completed to complement it, the 16-year-old has been offered a traineeship with Masterlink Computers.

“I’ve always liked puzzles and trying to work out how things work, which is why I love working with computers,” said Bailey.

“At TAFE Queensland I learned a lot at that I now apply in my work, and my manager Michael actually lets me do a lot of tasks because I’ve had experience through TAFE and I’m qualified.”

“I’ve done everything from fixing desktop computers and laptops to working with businesses to set up networks and repair their Wi-Fi connections.”

The unexpected reunion gave Mr Dieck the chance witness first hand how the IT skills he is passing on to students translate in the work place as well as pinpoint areas that can be improved.

“It’s fantastic to see your students move on to bigger and better things, so seeing Bailey doing so well and able to carry out his job with such confidence is very rewarding,” said Mr Dieck.

“This industry release was about making sure we deliver skills our students will actually use and ensuring that their transition into a real-world environment is seamless, so to be able to see that in action was great.”

Mr Dieck’s visit comes as the IT industry prepares for a surge in demand, with the Australian Government’s Job Outlook website predicting strong growth of up to 50,000 job openings over the next five years – an unsurprising projection given society’s increasing dependence on technology.

“Every industry relies on technology these days, so having an IT qualification is always going to be an asset,” said Mr Dieck.

For more information about ICT courses available at TAFE Queensland visit our website or call 1300 308 233.

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E