The power of music

Mason is truly a unique performer looking to pursue a career in music, and doing school differently in order to achieve his dreams.

10 Aug 2017

A born performer, 17-year-old singer/songwriter Mason Hope has found the recipe for a successful career in music and is completing his Year 12 studies differently than most other students.

Mason is a gifted musician and has been performing at local venues across the Sunshine Coast while completing his senior schooling at Maroochydore State High School. He’s grown up juggling music lessons, playing gigs, performing with the Buderim Youth Theatre of Excellence (BYTES), and rehearsing for festivals like the renowned Caloundra Music Festival.

2016 was a busy year for Mason. He was featured in Triple J Unearthed, won the iconic Gympie Music Muster Talent Search competition, was crowned the ‘Voice of Urban’ at the Caboolture Urban Country Music Festival, and was selected as a top four finalist in the Coca-Cola Tamworth Music Festival Rising Star competition. He also featured in the Queensland-wide talent show, Creative Generation – State Schools Onstage where he performed in four arena style stage shows at the Brisbane Convention Centre.

“Songs are like recipes handed down through generations. In the same way recipes are tweaked to find the best flavour, songs can be tweaked to find the best composition and sound,” Mason said. “I use beats, rhythms and melodies like ‘ingredients’ to connect with people and tell my story through music,” he said.

Mason’s songs express his thoughts, feelings and emotions about life and events around him. “It’s important to show people that life has its ups and downs, just like music. Life is a series of moments and it’s important to cherish each one before they pass you by,” he said.

With a voice likened to the great Elvis Presley, Mason is set to take on the world one song at a time. His first stop is Graceland, Tennessee to record an album in the iconic SUN Studio—the birthplace of rock ‘n’ roll—just as Elvis did.

Mindful not to pigeonhole himself into any particular musical genre, Mason is truly a unique performer who is looking to pursue a career in music and is doing school differently in order to achieve his dreams.

“I realise that homework and the stress and pressure of exams is part and parcel of growing up, but it isn’t really my thing. I’d rather be writing songs, playing my guitar and performing,” Mason said.

“University didn’t offer a pathway that best suited me or my skills. Thankfully, I found an alternative and less stressful pathway into the music industry through TAFE Queensland.”

“I’m complementing my Year 11 and 12 high school studies by completing a Certificate IV in Music at TAFE Queensland. I not only receive 8 QCE credit points for studying TAFE at school, but I’ve also been able to hone my skills and acquire qualifications at the same time as pursuing my passion for music.”

“Even if I don’t make it big, music will always be a strong part of my life. TAFE Queensland is helping me form the building blocks I need to be successful long into the future,” he said.

You can follow Mason’s adventures at

For more information about music courses available at TAFE Queensland visit our website or call 1300 308 233.

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E