Not all those who wander are lost

A $5,000 TAFE Queensland Scholarship is helping Tablelands travel student Surovi Corea explore her wanderlust.

25 Jan 2018

Most of my life experiences have been defined by opportunities that I have taken when presented. By nature I like to keep evolving and moving on. This has translated into my career as well. So when the opportunity arose to leave Sri Lanka I did. I had insatiable wanderlust and a curiosity to discover Australia.

My career goals have evolved significantly over the years. As a child I wanted to be a journalist, and later pursued a career in diplomacy. I worked in the Australian Embassy in Sri Lanka for five years before migrating to Australia in 2011. However I was unable to find work in diplomacy or politics while I was living in the Atherton Tablelands.

In 2017 I decided it was time to evolve again and change careers. I have always been passionate about travel and decided that I wanted to secure employment in the industry. My girls were now growing up. It was time to set an example. I wanted to show that it is absolutely necessary for women to be financially independent and successful. So I made the decision to enrol in a Certificate III in Travel and Tourism at TAFE Queensland, and quickly realised I had made the right choice.

Surovi Corea exploring her wanderlust
Surovi Corea at work

I then started volunteering at the Atherton Visitor Information Centre which was very rewarding. I participated in familiarisation tours and also in meetings involving the future expansion of the centre. Shortly after this I was also able to secure employment as a travel consultant with a travel agency in Atherton. I am very fortunate to find complementary employment alongside studying my qualification.

When I found out I had won a $5,000 TAFE Queensland scholarship I was very grateful and relived. I will use the money to finance the remainder of my tuition costs. It will go a long way in easing my family’s financial burden as we have been a one earner household, relying on my husband’s income.

Travel is one of my passions, it motivates me. I am looking forward to translating that passion into creating packages for clients and overseeing their needs so that they have the holiday of their dreams. Through my job I have already gained valuable insights into how the industry operates. Currently I’m learning internal office systems and also central flight reservation systems. I have learned to make domestic flight, rail, and bus bookings. I will soon learn about wholesalers, tour companies and operators, and the different clientele involved.

This process of learning has already been an incredible journey for me. The units I have completed at TAFE Queensland so far have also been very relevant to my job and have been invaluable in expanding my knowledge about the newest trends in the travel and tourism industry.

For more information about TAFE Queensland scholarships, visit our website or call 1300 308 233.

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E