11 Oct 2016
The 100 strong Queensland team of incredibly talented apprentices, trainees and students spent three days, from 6-8 October 2016, competing in their respective skills categories at the 2016 WorldSkills Australia National Competition in Melbourne.
At the closing ceremony, held on Sunday, 9 October 2016, the Queensland Team cleaned up with 23 medals for competitors from across the state. Thirteen of those medals were won by TAFE Queensland students who can now claim they are national champions.
TAFE Queensland South West’s very own Stephanie Raux (of Hair@Dalby) who won Gold in VETiS Hairdressing still couldn’t believe it after the announcement.
“After working and training for over a year and then coming to Melbourne to compete, it’s just unbelievable – I can’t even describe it,” said Stephanie.
She also has some advice for anyone considering competing in a WorldSkills competition at either a regional or national level.
“Just do it and do your best. Don’t miss the opportunity, it’s such a great experience.”
Stephanie is already planning to compete at a regional level next year in the open category and return to the national stage again. We have no doubt she can do it, and are incredibly proud of her achievement.
TAFE Queensland Medallists
- Business Services – Ben Nedwich (also Queensland Trainee of the Year in September)
- Electrical Installation – Nicholas Lennox
- Fashion Technology – Teegan Du Toit
- Refrigeration – Nathan McHugh
- Restaurant Service – Emilia Montague
- VETiS Hairdressing – Stephanie Raux
- Auto Electrical – Connor McCue
- Electrical Installation – Anthony Mesiano
- Refrigeration – Hayden McColl
- VETiS Electrotechnology – Jordan Rigby
- Automotive Electrical – Luke Budd
- Automotive Mechanics – Robert Jory
- Sheetmetal Work – Tom Gee
Each gold medallist now waits to hear if they have made the Australian Skillaroos team who will compete in 2017 at the 44th WorldSkills Competition in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
For more information about WorldSkills Australia visit www.worldskills.org.au
Make an enquiry
Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.