28 May 2017
To celebrate International Hamburger Day (yes, it’s a real thing), we’ve got a slightly different recipe for all the vegetarian fans out there to share courtesy of Chef Jason Ford (TAFE Queensland, Kingaroy). It’s a recipe for Pumpkin and Haloumi Sliders with Pesto Mayonnaise – yum!
Pumpkin and Haloumi Sliders with Pesto Mayonnaise
- 325g butternut pumpkin, chopped and roasted
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200g canned chickpeas, drained and roughly mashed
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 4 sprigs flat parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 120g haloumi, sliced
- 2 garlic gloves
- 50g peanuts, toasted
- 50g basil, torn
- 25g parmesan, grated
- 75g mayonnaise
- 4 crusty bread rolls, small
- 40g rocket leafs
- 1 trussed tomato, sliced
- Mash the roasted pumpkin to a coarse paste with chickpeas; add crumbs, parsley and egg. Shape into 4 patties. Chill for 15 minutes.
- In a frypan on medium heat using half the olive oil, fry the pumpkin patties until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile – to make the pesto mayonnaise, pound the garlic, peanuts, basil and parmesan to a paste, and then stir in the mayonnaise.
- Place the remaining olive oil in the frypan; add the haloumi and cook, turning, for 1-2 minutes until golden on both sides.
- To assemble, spread the bottoms of the toasted rolls with pesto mayonnaise, then top with rocket, tomato, haloumi and pumpkin patties, and then a dollop of more mayonnaise.
- Secure the lids in place by inserting a skewering down the centre of the entire slider
For more information about hospitality and cookery courses available at TAFE Queensland visit www.tafeqld.edu.au.
Make an enquiry
Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.