Complete high school on your terms with our Senior Studies program

High school isn't for everyone. Especially if you're trying to fit your studies around a developing sporting career. Luckily TAFE Queensland's Senior Studies program offers a great alternative for students from all backgrounds and situations to complete their Year 11 and 12 schooling on their terms.

6 Mar 2017

Edan Whitlock is a name to remember.

The rising BMX star, who hit the track for the first time four years ago, has already made waves in the extreme sport receiving national recognition and competing on the international circuit.

Now with the recent addition of BMX events in the Olympics she has her sights firmly set on London in 2020.

“I had a lot of hobbies growing up,” Edan said.

“I did cheerleading for a year, gymnastics for seven years. I did tennis, I’ve done a wide variety of sports, but as soon as I got to BMX I was like, yeah this is my type of sport.”

And it shows.

The 16-year-old has won the state titles, nabbed another first in an A Pro Women’s event and most recently placed second in Australia for her age group.

“I did my first world titles in 2013. I crashed in the last part and ended up in hospital,” she said.

“That same month I’d knocked myself out in the South Queensland titles. I’ve crashed and gone to hospital a few times but I guess if you love it, you just stay with it.”

Edan enrolled in TAFE Queensland’s Senior Studies program in 2016 so she could complete grades 11 and 12 around her busy training schedule.

“I really like my classes. I’ve gone from Cs and Ds to As and Bs. All the kids there are more mature and the teachers help you a lot more,” she said.

“They really care about your education.”

But between studying, coaching beginners and training, Edan has started to fill her trophy cabinet with the hopes of receiving a scholarship and eventually moving to the United States to pursue her sport with the world’s top athletes before heading to the Olympics.

“I’ll be saving as much money as I can for Super Cross rounds. They’re all over the world,” she said.

“That’s the sort of event where you’re coming down an eight metre start hill and there’s the 15 metre jump then hitting a huge jump, and you can’t see the bottom. It’s a bit frightening.

“I’ve done the eight metre start hill many times. When you hit it you just feel free and accomplished that you’ve done what you’ve been aiming to do. That’s what I really love about BMX. It’s the freedom.”

Find out more about TAFE Queensland’s Senior Studies program at

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E