From DJ to doctor

TAFE Queensland helped DJ Jen-E make a career change from DJ to doctor.

26 May 2015

Performing as DJ Jen-E throughout the 90s and early 00s, Dr. Jenny Juckel is well-known as a pioneer for women in the Brisbane electronic music scene.

But after years in nightclubs, it was a chance meeting with a fellow Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation (ATP) student at TAFE Queensland in Brisbane that spurred a switch from the decks to a desk. Proving that it is never too late to make a career change, Dr Juckel enrolled in university to study psychology once she completed her TAFE studies.

“I never imagined I’d get into university because I hadn’t even finished school,” she said.

“But I felt I was ready for a change so the idea really excited me.”

Doctor Jenny Juckel
Doctor Jenny Juckel

It was while writing an essay on mental illness during her TAFE course that she decided to pursue a career in psychology.

“As a teenager I had a massive psychology book, it’s an area that has always interested me because it’s a career with so many applications,” Dr Juckel said.

“So I just put my head down and studied as hard as I could.”

Channelling the same determination that saw her break into the male-dominated music scene, Dr Juckel powered through a decade of study that started at TAFE, and ended with a Bachelor of Psychological Sciences and a PhD in Media Psychology.

“I’ve always been interested in comedy, so when I saw a scholarship to be part of a PhD program looking at people’s psychological responses to sitcoms, I went for it,” she said.

While chipping away at her PhD, the enthusiastic student also became a certified yoga teacher.

“I’ve enjoyed having a little bit of time off this year after studying for so long but now I think I’m ready to get back into it,” she said.

“I’m not sure what my next step will be, but I’d really like to apply similar techniques I used while completing my PhD to monitoring the effects of exercise, yoga and meditation on the mind.”

Top image supplied by Soulbridge Media.

Are you looking to make a career change? TAFE Queensland can help. Call 1300 308 233 today.

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E