Equal parts art and science

Jocelyn Shield has used her natural talents and transferable skills to leap from one industry to the next with greater ease than even she expected.

29 Jun 2017

According to an ever-growing mountain of research, career change has become the norm. From the World Economic Forum through to Forbes and the Fast Company, experts are telling us that a career-change cycle of once every three years is now standard for Generations X, Y, and Z.

Architecture student Jocelyn his big dreams and even bigger ideas.
Jocelyn his big dreams and even bigger ideas.

This is very much the case for Bachelor of Interior Architecture student Jocelyn Shield. Despite already being a photographer and an architectural representative, she wanted to do and create more.

Jocelyn wanted to be the mastermind behind unique experiences. In other words, a career change was in order, one that would allow her to realise her creative vision.

“I’ve always had a love for interior design, but wanted to be able to work across the entire process, not just as an architectural rep, so I aimed for the formal qualifications to become an interior designer.” Jocelyn said.

When creativity flows through your veins, there’s no ignoring it. It calls to you, pushes you to imagine ‘what-if’ day-in and day-out. Jocelyn couldn’t ignore the call.

“Leaving the workforce to undertake full-time study has been challenging. I’ve really taken a leap of faith but I don’t regret doing this, as it has been beneficial for my career.”

“It has pushed my boundaries, but I have reaped the rewards from the lecturers. I’m getting a lot of hands-on practical experience,” said Jocelyn.

This has resulted in her first self-run project – a residential house extension; a real test of her skills and a potential framework for her future interior design dreams.

Jocelyn added, “I want to create welcoming small retail, café and residential spaces that truly feel like home. My degree has really helped with this by honing my existing skills and opening my eyes to things I didn’t know. I’ve even broadened my capabilities to match all that I might need for my own projects.”

Interior design is evolving fast, creating the unique field of interior architecture
Interior design is evolving fast, creating the unique field of interior architecture.

“This has included learning the value of time and balancing workloads. This is really going to help me, whether I’m working for others or myself in the future.”

Well ahead of graduating from her degree at the end of 2017, Jocelyn has started building her own brand on Instagram by blending her new skills with her photographic past. The account displays her ideas, inspirations, and upcoming projects – a real insight into her creative vision.

With a future that’s been built on a creative past, Jocelyn is surely going to achieve great things. Someday the café culture and hot spots of Brisbane will be influenced by her unique vision, and we can’t wait to experience it.

Did you know?

According to SEEK, 20% more interior architecture experts and decorators will be employed in Australia in 2020 (compared to Nov 2015). Add in the growing demand for a reinvention of physical retail stores, better dining experiences, and interest in more unique home spaces, now is the time to look into interior architecture and interior design.

Why wait to make great happen with a degree in interior architecture and design?

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E