Business

Driven to dream

For Gold Coast local, wife and mum of two, Rebecca Moore, being part of a major sporting event in Queensland has always been a dream. Thanks to TAFE Queensland’s partnership with the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation (GOLDOC), Rebecca is taking on a once in a lifetime opportunity as a volunteer at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018).

10 Mar 2018

A lifelong dream becomes a reality for Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games volunteer, Rebecca Moore.

Volunteering as a Fleet Driver, Moore will start her day at the Games’ ‘Central Depot’, based at the Gold Coast Turf Club, where she will pick up and drop off dignitaries and delegates at their destination throughout April, introducing them to the beautiful sights of the Gold Coast.

According to Moore, she jumped at the chance to become a volunteer for GC2018, with inspiring her kids to be active members of their community being a huge driver.

“I grew up playing sport, socially as well as representatively, which I love! I’ve been looking forward to the Commonwealth Games for years, but actually being part of the excitement is a dream come true,” said Rebecca.

“I encourage my kids to get involved in sport and the community and by getting involved myself, I am showing my children what giving back can do for you, not only socially, but by exposing you to a wealth of experiences and knowledge that you can draw on in your everyday life.”

“It gives you the chance to try something new, that you may not normally be involved in. I’m really looking forward to being part of the GC2018 community and meeting new people, and just jumping in and enjoying every moment,” she said.

While all eyes will be on sprinters, swimmers, boxers and more throughout the Games, major events cannot take place without an army of high-skilled, highly-committed individuals who work behind the scenes to ensure every day runs seamlessly.

As part of their Tier One Partnership with GOLDOC, TAFE Queensland has trained in excess of 15,000 students, businesses, event leaders and volunteers ahead of the GC2018. Through a bespoke custom-designed online training program, TAFE Queensland is able to deliver high quality training for thousands of users on any device, anywhere, at any time.

According to Rebecca, the custom-designed online platform allowed her to fit training around her husband, two kids and full-time job.

“I work full-time, so completing my training through a flexible program hosted online suited me perfectly. I was able to do what I needed to do during the day and then could log in at home after the kids were in bed and my hubby had fallen asleep on the couch. The system was easy to use and smart enough to remember where I was up to each time I logged in,” said Rebecca.

“The training that GOLDOC and TAFE Queensland have provided has given me the confidence to successfully navigate whatever situation I may come across,” she said.

With GC2018 creeping closer and closer, the Gold Coast transforming into a sporting destination and volunteer training wrapping up, Rebecca said excitement is building.

“It’s such an exciting time to be here on the Gold Coast and to be part of the Commonwealth Games; it means the world to me. Everything is getting more and more exciting with stadiums being erected as I drive around the Gold Coast – I can’t wait to show off this beautiful city of ours,” she said.

TAFE Queensland has a long and proud history of providing practical learning experiences. Partnering with the GC2018 is another way in which TAFE Queensland continues to Make Great Happen for Queenslanders, by enabling them to do extraordinary things in front of a global audience.

For more information about TAFE Queensland’s partnership with GOLDOC and GC2018, visit www.tafeqld.edu.au.

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E