6 Apr 2017
In honour of Caramel Popcorn Day (because yum), our hospitality team has a nice and easy caramel popcorn recipe for you.
Simple and Sweet Caramel Popcorn
- 8 cups of plain, popped popcorn (microwave or stove top is fine)
- 125g of unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of brown sugar (make sure you pack this down firmly)
- 1/2 tsp of bi-carb soda
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence
- Pop the popcorn (either in a microwave or on a stove top depending on your presence – hint microwave popcorn is usually quicker and easier to make) and set aside in large bowl (you’ll be mixing the popcorn and other items in this later so make sure there’s plenty of room).
- In a heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat until it just starts to bubble.
- Add in the salt and then add the sugar. Stir well until it’s smooth and fully combined.
- Reduce your stove to a low-medium temperature and allow the mixture to bubble (but not boil!!!) for 3-5 minutes. You’ll know it’s good to go when the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is thick and sticky.
- Remove the mixture from heat and stir in the bi-carb soda very quickly, followed immediately by vanilla essence. It will froth a little but this means it’s working.
- Whisk the mixture until fully combined then pour over your pre-popped popcorn. If you like a chewier popcorn serve immediately, if you like a cruchnier popcorn put it on a tray in the oven at 120°C for 15-30 minutes (checking every so often) and then serve once the caramel has hardened. Enjoy!
If you’re interested in studying hospitality at TAFE Queensland, please visit www.tafeqld.edu.au for more information.
Make an enquiry
Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.