Adapting to new tastes in patisserie

Emma Paff has quickly turned her hobby into an award-winning patisserie career in colourful cakes.

10 Jun 2017

Freak shakes, vegan desserts, cronuts – with all these trends going around you couldn’t be blamed for thinking it’s a great time to undertake patisserie training.

Patisserie skills mean unique products.
Patisserie skills are being redefined by the unique demands of today’s consumers.

Globally, the food world has never been more exciting. Trends, techniques, and tastes are quickly shifting, within neighbourhoods and across continents.

According to leading research group IPSOS, Australians alone have shifted their food preferences in terms of portion sizes, prices, sugar content, and freshness just in the past year.

For Certificate IV in Patisserie graduate Emma Paff, this is a welcome challenge. Over the past few years, she has turned a passion and hobby into a genuine career path.

“I was making cakes for friends and family and it just escalated from there until it was more than just something on the side. I couldn’t just leave it at that.”

Her business, The Cake Lady, offers custom cakes for weddings and other occasions, wholesale small cakes, and pastries, as well as a range of delectable bites at some of Brisbane’s top weekend food markets.

“I chose to complete a certificate IV to gain professional skills in order to feel confident in expanding my business into smaller baked goods.”

This new skill set and product expansion are working for her so far and she knows why.

“The best part of my time at TAFE Queensland was spending time with the extremely knowledgeable and helpful pastry chefs that were our teachers. All of them had recently come straight from working within the industry themselves, so they were able to impart up-to-date skills and practices.”

Even with all of this, Emma won’t kick back and settle for the status quo.

“I understand how important it is that I learn new skills to keep up with changes in the industry and the tastes of my customers. I need to be flexible enough to take the time to pick up new tricks, techniques, and qualifications along the way.”

Emma uses her patisserie skills to run The Cake Lady
The Cake Lady, run by Emma, is on the rise.

And the business is growing thanks to this determination; that and her acknowledgment as the TAFE Queensland Brisbane 2016 Patisserie Student of the Year. This honour was based on her remarkable skills in class and her already incredible success as a cake maker.

“I was so shocked and honoured. It has been a real boom for my business – it’s a clear sign of authentic quality to employers and customers that I have the right skills”.

Emma is keeping the momentum going as she continues to promote her business and looks to attend some of Australia’s top specialist patisserie short courses to further hone her craft.

With new skills and fresh trends, there’s no telling what delectable treats Emma can and will unleash upon the world. We can’t wait!

Did you know?

According to the Australian Federal Government, 32,000 people were employed as bakers and pastrycooks in 2015, and job openings in these roles are expected to be between 10,001 and 25,000 over the next five years. There is a combined projected 5.3% growth in cafes and specialist bakeries through to 2022.

As Emma has proven, this is an industry where it is possible to create your own opportunity.

To learn more about patisserie training available at TAFE Queensland visit our website or call 1300 308 233.

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E